Monday, January 10, 2011

Maybe now I'll have some fun doing the laundry!

I have been reading for years about making your own laundry detergent.But,I always wondered..why?? When theres a LONG line of them just waiting for you to buy..but it seemed to me..just like EVERYTHING else.. that it was getting more and more expensive to just purchase them at the store..So since I already make handmade soap,why not venture into making my own laundry soap.

I seen powdered..liquid..but since I used powdered anyways THATS what I went with..and REALLY it just seemed easier to make..what I used



Some washing soda, borax and soap..in this case I used both my own handmade soap and some Zote soap.ALL of the ingredients I found in the laundry isle at my grocery store.

I used a mixture guideline of 2 parts shredded soap:1 part washing soda:1 part borax

I placed the all ingredients in a plastic zip top bag..and shook it until it all got mixed together..I then placed the mixture into a reclosable plastic tub..



Use 1Tbs of the mixture for top loading machines..and 2Tbs for regular machines..I havent ventured into vinegar rinses-thats my next journey :)

Lessons learned:
-to use a mask when mixing the powders...fly aways will get you coughing..

-meet a neighbor and give them the gift of your new laundry soap since YOU'LL make TONS
of laundry soap with just one bar and the boxes of washing soda and borax that you
bought..

-feel the sense of awesomeness as you skate right past the laundry isle since..you KNOW you dont need to lug those big bulky containers and boxes home..

*The next thing I am going to do is breakdown the cost per load..just to impress myself even more*

3 comments:

Kris Loya said...

i found your blog while googling soap making in northern VA - have you found a class? or ummmmm maybe wanna teach me ? I'm obsessed with making soap i've been watching youtube but i'm kinda scared to try with lye etc...help!
i'm gonna bookmark ur blog are u on fb?
Thanks!!

Kris Loya said...

oh yay!Thank you for commenting on my blog - but fb says you don't exist:(
i'm webgrl23 at hotmail.com on fb if that helps. I'm looking fwd to getting my soap addiction started woo hoo!:D

Kris Loya said...

hey is ur fb ok? I'm trying to reply to ur last 'email' and its not letting me.
I think cold process is what i wanna learn (i googled it last night) but omg! Lye scares me!